Recognizing and Developing American River College Classified leadership. Actively promoting and advocating for American River College Participatory Governance.
The Classified Senate is the representative voice and advisory body elected from the classified staff at ARC. It provides classified employees and the college community with a formal organization to maintain communication and representation in the on-going development and implementation of state, district, college, and community programs, goals, and planning. This body shall represent itself to the college community and administration in matters of participatory governance, staff development, and staff recognition. Recommendations of the classified staff shall steer this representation and exchange with other groups.
About Classified Senate
1. To be a voice for the classified staff on non-union issues
2. To be an avenue for participation by classified staff in shared governance
3. To foster communication, understanding, and mutual support among classified staff
4. To provide a means of communication between classified staff and the college community
5. To inform classified staff of Senate actions and current issues of interest to the college community.
6.To promote the professionalism and value of the classified staff.
Classified Senate Meeting Dates 2019-20 Term
Meeting dates for the 2020-21 Academic Year:
Time: 11:30 am to 1:00 pm
All meetings July 2020 through June 2021 have the same Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/99022750380;
Senate Work and Campus Involvement
This team will review and update the Constitution/Bylaws annually. The goal is to uphold the Senate Constitution and Bylaws, ensure the Senate is operating within its code, and encourage ongoing development of the Constitution and Bylaws. This may be done by the Executive Board.
Classified Senate Elections have been postponed until all classified professionals are back on campus. This will allow all classified professionals the opportunity to vote.
Until that time, current Senators whose term was up June 2020 have agreed to extend their term until elections can be held:
- Carissa Thomas – Secretary
- Kristin Farlow – Communications Officer
- Beth Talbott – Senator, Student Services
- Viorica Petcan – Senator, Instruction
- Nicole Moise – Senator, Instruction
- Liz Geisser – Senator, Outreach & Workforce
For vacant positions, the following Senators have been appointed until elections can be held, at which time these professionals will have the opportunity to be elected for their positions:
- Mario Rodriguez - Senator, Student Services
- Bee Curiel - Senator, Student Services
- Caitlyn Spencer - Senator, Student Services
- Beth Madigan - Senator, Administration & President
The Classified Senate is here to listen and to share important information with classified professionals at ARC. Here are ways to stay connected:
How we listen:
- You are welcome to reach out to the Senators who represent your area or anyone on the Classified Senate Executive Board.
We will take your concerns and either resolve them or help find who to contact.
- You are always welcome at our Classified Senate Meetings. Anything that you would like to share can be shared during the public comment section of the monthly Classified Senate Meetings. Simply reply to the Classified Senate Secretary email when they send out the agenda.
How we provide information:
- Classified Professionals Monthly Newsletter (hyperlink to the News & Events page, missing newsletters attached)
- Classified Senate President sends out a President’s Report to classified professionals monthly or as pertinent information emerges.
- During our Classified Senate Meetings
- During events like the Winter Luncheon or the Annual Professional Development Conference
The Classified Senate recognizes fellow professionals in these ways:
- Classified Professional of the Year Award - annual award by the Classified Senate that includes a check for $500 along with the Classified Professional of the Year plaque, announcement at Winter Luncheon, Convocation, or other appropriate event.
The 2020-2021 awardee is Yesenia Castellon, Specialist in the International Student Program.
- Classified Spotlight - The Classified Senate is spotlighting our ARC Classified Professionals every month. We want to get to know ALL classified professionals and understand the work they do for our campus. The Spotlight appears in the Monthly Newsletter.
- Temporary Classified Professional of the Month and Student Assistant of the Month
In the past, the Classified Senate acknowledged our Temporary Classified and Student Assistants with a certificate recognizing their outstanding work.
With your help, the Classified Senate would like to bring back this tradition and recognize each month one Temporary Classified and one Student Assistant.
If you would like to nominate anyone in your area please click “Temporary or Student” below.
The Senate is committed to providing a healthy social atmosphere where the Classified Senate is visible, networking opportunities are present, and professional and/or personal development opportunities exist. Annual Social Events:
Ice Cream Social - July
Winter Luncheon - last Friday of the fall semester
Classified Appreciation Luncheon - last Friday of the spring semester - organized by Management.
Professional Development - The Classified Senate The Senate is committed to facilitating a minimum of one Professional Development event per year.
The main source of fundraising for the Classified Senate are the Opportunity Drawing donations at our events.
From time to time we do See’s Candy sales. If you see an email from us about it, jump on it fast because we sell out quick.
You would like to donate to the ARC Classified Senate, you may write a check to ARC (with memo section FBO: Classified Senate) and mail it to the ARC Foundation Office at 4700 College Oak Dr., Sacramento, CA 95841.
ARC Classified Senate
The ARC Classified Senate was established in 1998 by a vote of the classified staff. The Classified Senate membership is comprised of permanent classified employees at American River College. The Executive Board consists of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Communications Officer, and Past President. There are representatives covering all areas of the campus.
Classified Senate Senators
Beth Madigan, Senator (Administration & President)
Vlad Tsoy, Senator (Instruction)
Cesar Reyes, Senator (Instruction)
Nicole Moise, Senator (Instruction)
Viorica Petcan, Senator (Instruction)
Matt Cone, Senator (Operations)
Liz Johnson, Senator (Operations/Blue Collar)
Liz Geisser, Senator (Outreach)
Mario Rodriguez, Senator (Student Services)
Bee Curiel, Senator (Student Services)
Caitlyn Spencer (Student Services)
Beth Talbott, Senator (Student Services)
Corey Winfield, Senator (At Large)
ARC Classified Professionals are active participants in Campus Governance.
Are you interested in joining a council, project team, or committee? contact Olga Prizhbilov
Classified professionals who currently serve on various campus and district governing bodies:
California Community Colleges Classified Senate (4CS)
4CS is a non-profit organization, formed by the California Community College's classified staff to serve as the statewide classified senate. 4CS supports the leadership roles of classified staff in the governance of the California Community College System through the development and support of local senates, advocating increased involvement at the state level, and promoting leadership skills among classified staff.